Digesting some of the material about the collapse of the British SWP. Here are some of the links that are relevant beyond UK sectariana but of interest to those interested in Marxist theory and Trotskyist history more broadly. For those interested in the gory details, go to Jim Jepps’ ever-growing link list, from which a couple of the items below are pilfered, or to Mikey’s tabloid version. Apologies this is so un-chronological, with stuff from January through to April.
Leninism, vanguardism, party democracy, activist culture:
- Phil (A Very Public Sociologist): Life on the revolutionary treadmill; SWP, Rape, and Revolutionary Justice; Where now for the SWP?; British Trotskyism after the Cold War; the SWP, an obituary.
- Paul Cotteril (Though Cowards Flinch): The SWP meltdown, institutional legitimacy and the broader lesson for the left
- Lives running: Workers’ democracy and the politics of wrath
- Anna Chen: People’s Assembly and Nechayev’s Catechism: be very afraid …
- Soviet Goon Boy: Reflections on the SWP crisis; The bureaucratic imperative; From the vaults: “Democracy in the International Socialists”, 1975; Order prevails in Vauxhall; Building the leadership; The age gap, and why it matters; The uses of paranoia. Interesting reflections in some of these on the precedent from Gerry Healy’s WRP.]
- Corey Ansel: Sherry Wolf – Writing the words of a sermon that no one will hear
- Keith Watermelon: The SWP in crisis, what do socialists say?
- Ed Maltby and Martin Thomas: Politics without oxygen
- John Riddell: Party democracy in Lenin’s Comintern – and now
- Tim Nelson: Rosa Luxemburg and the Revolutionary Party
- Louis Proyect: A Reply to Alex Callinicos; Mike Gonzales and the ideological priesthood
- Norman Geras: Leninism forever?
- Paul LeBlanc: Leninism is unfinished (reply by Louis Proyect)
- Tom Walker: Lenin versus Leninism
- Gregor Gall: Democracy and the left
- Tendance Coatesy: The International Marxist Group and the SWP Crisis.
- International Socialists: Is Zinovievism finished?
Theorising Marxism and feminism:
- Camilla Power: ‘Feminism is a dirty word’. What would Marx and Engels think today?
- Radical Anthropology Group: SWP ‘expulsions’ for discussing rape – not for the first time! (1991)
- Yassamin Mather: Sexism: Macho culture and the lessons we can learn from the Middle East
The “IS tradition”:
- Captain Jack: The SWP and the IS tradition.
- JOAQUÍN BUSTELO: On The Two Souls of Socialism (2005)
- Roobin: Some thoughts on IS theory
The radical movement in Britain
- 10 years on, a comment on the British SWP, Mike Marqusee
- SPGB: An open letter
- Hatful of History: Is this a turning point for the British left?
Historical Materialism journal:
- Delhi HM committee: Disentangling the Delhi HM Conference from the SWP Crisis
- Ross Wolfe: Hysterical Materialism etc