Robert Capa’s “Mexican” Suitcase. photo © Tony Cenicola/The New York Times
Gerda Taro, Air Raid Victim in the Morgue, Valencia, 1937.
- Images above from a post on Robert Capa, Gerda Taro and David Seymour (Chim) at Venetian Red: highly recommended.
- Review of Victor Serge’s Unforgiving Years. ( “Yet another blow struck against Stalinist despotism and for the recovery of an authentic socialist tradition from the ‘midnight in the century’ of totalitarianism. This project is part of what Vasily Grossman called the ‘radiant dossier’ that would emerge from the debris of NKVD archives that one day would be opened.” )
- E. San Juan Jr on Bertolt Brecht on the Spanish Civil War and the Philippine Revolution.
- Sklyansky on Robert Service’s new biography of Trotsky.
- Mayakovsky’s Suicide, by Leon Trotsky, at Rustbelt Radical.
- Intense light on a forgotten war: Ian Gibson’s introduction to David Baird’s Between Two Fires, on the Andalusian anti-Franco partisans.
- Of cars, footballers, fascists and rockers: a wonderful post on Barcelona. Film fragments from 1900 to now, including the July ’36 revolution, la Rumba Catalana and Manu Chao.
- Remember the Christmas of 1946: bizarre Stalinist marginalia.
- James Connolly as hero, at Rustbelt Radical. Great Irish folk music YouTubes at the end.
- Rosie Bell on the anatomy of a song.
- Yet again: Ron Radosh on Pete Seeger, continued.
- Subversive Historian: Grapes of Wrath, Argentina’s May Day massacre 1909, Ludlow Massacre, the Limerick Soviet, Zapata’s assassination, Kronstadt.
- Some Readings on Workers Councils, Militancy, and Generalized Self-Management (Pannekoek, Cajo Brendel, Benjamin Peret, Marcelo Vieta, etc)
- Stroppyblog: 1931 again?
- Ellen Wilkinson: a great MP.
- And, for all the old hacks, Kevin Higgins sums up the mood.
- The woman who captured Robert Capa’s heart (independent.co.uk)
- Dalí, Richter and Houdini in Chains! (nytimes.com)
- The Trotsky Conundrum (3quarksdaily.com)
- Frida: raises an eyebrow | Reel History (guardian.co.uk)
- Album: Lila Downs, Y la Misteriosa en Paris – Live (World Village) (independent.co.uk)